Thursday 6 August 2009

BANTON'S LANE, TICKNALL, DERBYSHIRE

I took Poppy for a walk to Ticknall today to discover Banton's Lane. This is where my Great Grandparents Henry and Edna Clarke lived with their three daughters at the time of the 1901 census. Banton's lane is on the left coming into Ticknall from the Melbourne Direction, just after the entrance to Calke Abbey. The tiny, unsurfaced lane has a few dwellings. I guess they lived at one of the small cottages on the right, but don't know for sure. At the top it leads straight through a field and into Calke Park. I walked into the park and it took me to the tunnel where lime was transported from the Lime Yards at Ticknall to Ashby. I walked through the Lime Yards, got a bit muddy and lost and then on to the Staunton Harold Reservoir. see more photo's ................

1 comment:

  1. I am doing research on the servants at Calke and have come across the surname Banton. A bit of digging turned up a Dynasty of Bantons going back to the 1680’s in Ticknall. Have you any idea why Banton’s Lane was called that? I would imagine there’s a link with the family.

    ReplyDelete